Friday, July 1, 2011

Fiji Part 4: Navave village

Navave
[Nuh-vah-vay]
Like I said earlier...
I basically ate rice and tomato sauce for lunch and dinner
for a week because I wasn't daring enough to try some of the food.
Some of it was really good!
Like curry, scones, bread, and cake.
Our first dinner in Navave
This was a super fun village because they like to sing
to you while eating and have dance parties every night!
There is a group of guys about my age that would come play
the guitar and sing.
My favorite song was "you'll never find another Fijian boy like me!"
Haha, they were cute.
This little boy is Tom
and he has a LOT of personality!
He loves the peace sign
and when I went to take a picture with him he just grabbed my neck
with his little hand and pulled me right in!
The dances were usually ladies choice
and since Tyler was the only guy in our group
the women LOVED him! Plus he knew how to shake
his bootay and they thought that was WAY cool. Haha.
I love these 2 boys!
The last day we worked in the Vuya village
we finished what was left of the septic system project
and hung out with the kids for a bit.

They were pretty rambunctious but soooo cute!

That night Vuya threw us a party.
The ladies loved Sam too!
Our last day on the island was pretty emotional.
All the kids wanted to be around you because they knew you were leaving the next day
One girl made me a hand woven basket. It was so amazing!


Susu & I.
I miss him. A lot.
They held a farewell ceremony
and the children sang to us
the principal spoke
one of the chiefs spoke
and we sang God Be With You Till We Meet Again.
They gave us leis
and danced for us.
Then they blessed the library and each kid hugged us
and each parent
and each teacher
they were all crying
it was heart breaking!
But it meant soooo much to see how this was changing their lives.
Even though they had changed mine more than they could ever know.
After that was done,
We ran down to the warf to swim with the kids one last time
the sunset was beautiful!

We wanted the people to see us off tomorrow
when we left on the ferry
I kept asking Susu if he would come because I knew he was sad
and most of the time he'd run away because he didn't want to talk about it.
Finally after I asked he said
"No, I'm not coming"
I said "Why? I don't want to say goodbye tonight!"
Susu: "I can't come tomorrow because I don't want to see your
face when I know you are going to be leaving me."
It was so sad.
I love these boys!
This is where we slept in Navave.
Our last night there they threw our entire group a party.
And made us a huge dinner including fish head!
Tyler ate the fish eye ball.
The last night was really fun.
Tons of people were there!
We danced a lot and the Navave boys performed for us.
Susu was there for a little bit but ran off before I could say bye.
I was so sad because I was sure that was the last time I would ever see him!
Not only did he say he wouldn't come but all the kids had school and wouldn't be able to come to the dock to say goodbye.
Going to bed that night was bitter sweet!
I couldn't believe this was all coming to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment